by Renu Mehta
Markham Talent (www.markhamtalent.ca), in partnership with the Markham Arts Council (www.markhamartscouncil.com) is calling on all musicians, dancers, actors, models and entertainers to realize their potential and submit their art to compete in the 2023 Markham Talent Open Casting Call for York Region. The competition is open to all artists working, studying and/or living in York region.
A panel of renowned judges, including producers, casting directors, talent agents, and industry experts, will be on hand to select semi-finalists from each category of the audition submissions who will then compete for the finals. The finalists will be awarded cash and other prizes. Each semi-finalist and finalist will receive 2 priority seating tickets to semifinals and finals.
Competitions will be held in two groups: Age 16 & Under and Age 17 & Over. The deadline for submission of 60 second performance tapes is May 1, 2023 with the semi-finals and finals being held on May 12-13, 2023.
This event is co-chaired by Markham Ward 6 Councilor Amanda Yeung Collucci, Markham Arts Council Chair Stephen Chait and Markham Arts Council Executive Director Shruti Ganapathy. City of Markham Mayor Frank Scarpitti as Honorary Chair.
“I fully support initiatives like York Region’s Got Talent that showcases our amazing local talent and builds on the vibrancy of our city” says Mayor Frank Scarpitti
“There has been a series of news regarding Ryan Reynolds as part of a group who will be building a world class movie studio in Markham, “says Councilor Amanda Collucci. “There is certainly an appetite for the entertainment industry to set foot in York Region. This event with many accomplished professionals currently working in the industry as judge panel will help grow our local talents in York region. We will put the City of Markham as the leading municipality to promote the Entertainment industry in York Region.”
Councilor Collucci is focused on her goal to host this event on an annual basis and make it one of Markham’s signature events for promoting the entertainment industry in the city.
The impressive array of judges includes Juno Award Board Member – Aideen O Brien; Casting Director Brian Levy, Producer / Dance Choreographer /Casting Director of The Next Step – Amy Wright; Singer-Songwriter / Juno Awards Nominee Robert Laidlaw; Talent manager Patricia Jarosz; Model Agent / Manager Cynthia Cully; Dean, York University, School of Arts, Media, Production and Design, Dr. Sarah Bay-Cheng and actress Samantha Aucoin.
“This competition is open to all artists, actors, dancers, musicians, singers and other performing artists,” says Stephen Chait, chair of the Markham Arts Council. “This is your opportunity to showcase your talent to an exemplary judging panel.
Tickets to view the semi-finals and finals are $25 and all proceeds will help Markham Arts Council drive economic growth in arts, culture, and tourism sectors within the City of Markham.
To register for the Markham Talent 2023 Open Casting Call:
- Complete the online form at markhamtalent.ca, and then submit a link to a YouTube video of your proposed act. Video submissions should be no longer than 60 seconds in length (Full Details and Rules listed on the website)
- Deadline for submissions is Monday, May 1, 2023, at 5pm EST.
- A non-refundable competition Registration is $50 per registrant – includes 2 free tickets to both semifinals and finals shows
About Markham Talent (www.markhamtalent.ca)
- Lead by Councilor Collucci, Markham Talent 2023 Open Casting Call is an event to promote performing arts and entertainment industry in the City of Markham
- Organized by Markham Arts Council and Markham Ward 6 Councilor’s office, this exciting event is co-chaired by Markham Ward 6 Councilor, Amanda Yeung Collucci, Markham Arts Council’s Board Chair, Stephen Chait and Markham Arts Council’s Executive Director, Shruti Ganapathy
- All proceeds from the event will go towards Markham Arts Council’s mission to continue to support and promote local Markham artists on a global scale.
About Markham Arts Council (www.markhamartscouncil.com)
- Markham Arts Council is a registered, nonprofit, and charitable organization first established in 2004 with a focus on connecting local artists and promoting the various diverse forms of art in Markham.
- It was founded to help the local under-served artists and arts organizations to come together, network, share their resources and grow.
- Over the past 16 years, the Arts Council has played a leadership role in the community, providing quality programming and services.